How we work?
Know how we work
ACTO works through the coordination and articulation of the Permanent Secretariat (PS/ACTO) whose main roles and functions are to facilitate the exchange, knowledge, cooperation and joint projection among the Member Countries to fulfill the mandates of the Amazon Cooperation Treaty. According to its roles and functions it is:
- Liaison: fostering consensus among the Member Countries to develop activities, programs and projects that involve national, regional and international players.
- Facilitator: establishing spaces for political and technical dialogue among the Member Countries to ensure compliance with its mandates, including topics of interest of international forums like those related to climatic change, forests, biological diversity and trade of endangered species.
- Coordinator: regionally managing and administrating the execution of activities, programs and projects based on the mandates received from the Member Countries.
- Manager of regional and international cooperation support: financial sources are identified to carry out specific regional activities that have been entrusted to it based on the priorities of the Member Countries, with full respect for national sovereignty and promoting South-South cooperation.
- Program and project executor: progress is being made in the consolidation of ACTO as an agency for executing programs and projects at the regional level.
- Generator of regional information: producing reference regional information to propose analysis scenarios for the Amazon through experience and knowledge shared by the Member Countries.
- Promoter of actions to strengthen institutional capacity within the Member Countries according to their needs.
- Facilitator of participation and strategic alliances: the effective participation of Amazonian populations and actors is promoted through broad, democratic, intercultural, transparent, pluralistic, diverse and independent dialogue and interaction, strengthening the construction of strategic alliances.
ACTO has the essential support of the Brazilian Cooperation Agency (ABC) financing several programs and strategic projects in benefit of all the Member Countries.
ACTO has established an important dialogue with other friendly countries in the region and international cooperation entities to channel financial resources into strategic programs and projects for the Amazon Region, promoting the construction of regional synergies and avoiding duplication of efforts.
ACTO seeks cooperation with allies and strategic partners to generate a greater impact with multiplier effects for its inhabitants and for nature.
Memorandum of Understanding between PS/ACTO and the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research (IAI)
Collaboration Agreement between ACTO and the Italo-Latin American International Organization (IILA)
Memorandum of Understanding between ACTO and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Acuerdo Marco de Cooperación CEPAL y OTCA
Cooperation Agreement between ACTO and the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA)
Framework Cooperation Agreement between ACTO and Development Bank of Latin America (CAF)
Memorandum of Understanding between ACTO and the Republic of Ireland
Acuerdo Marco de Colaboración OTCA y FILAC
ABC – Brazilian Cooperation Agency
ANA – National Water Agency
IADB – Inter-American Development Bank
BNDES – National Bank for economic and social development
CAF- Development Bank of Latin America
CAN – Andean Community
ECLAC – Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean
CBD – Convention on Biological Diversity
CITES – Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
FAO – Food and Agricultura Organization of the United Nations
GEF – Global Environment Fund
GIZ – German Agency for International Cooperation
IAI – Inter American Institute for Global Change Research
IILA – Italo-Latin American International Organization
IICA – Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture
INPE – National Institute for Space Research
KFW- Kreditanstalt fur Wiederaufbau/Credit Institute for Reconstruction
ITTO – International Tropical Timber Organization
WHO PAHO – World Health Organization
FIOCRUZ- Oswaldo Cruz Foundation
ACTO holds the First Meeting of Authors of the Assessment of the State of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services in the Amazon
In a virtual event held last Friday, October 8, 2021, the Permanent Secretariat of ACTO coordinated the First Meeting of Authors of the...
The governments of six Amazonian countries supported the strengthening of the ACTO as an institutional tool for work in the Amazon Region...
The Steering Committee (CDP) of the Project Implementation of the Program of Strategic Actions to ensure the Integrated and Sustainable...
Delegation of diplomats participates in a mission to the Brazilian Amazon led by the Vice President of Brazil
ACTO Secretary General, Alexandra Moreira, who is taking part with the delegation of diplomats in the trip through the Brazilian Amazon...
The 32nd LACFC Meeting will take place from the 6th to the 10th of September. The Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organization (ACTO)...
ACTO hires consulting firm to prepare protocols for monitoring the quantity and quality of surface water
Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organzation – ACTO and the National Water Agency – ANA Brazil Amazon Project: regional action in the area of...